Whenever I get asked what my favorite food is I am quick to answer... salad and Chocolate! Seriously, I could eat salad every day of the week providing I mix it up a little. And, well, chocolate... that goes without saying ;) Last week I threw together this salad and it was healthy, delicious, filling and super easy. The cauliflower rice was a welcomed change and a clever replacement for the usual carbs such as rice, quinoa or cous cous. I love that most of the elements can be prepped well in advance (even a day or so before) which means you can plate this baby up in no time!
1 bunch of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 large (or two small) sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
2 skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
150 grams (1 packet) baby spinach leaves
200 grams chickpeas (Garbanzos) drained and rinsed
1 avocado, sliced and diced
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 table spoon extra virgin olive oil
Garlic and herb roast seasoning (optional)
Honey Mustard Dressing
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- In a roasting dish, combine the sweet potato, coconut oil and sea salt along with a sprinkle of garlic and herb seasoning. Mix until potato is evenly coated. Set aside.
- In batches, place the cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice. Place in a large bowl along with the oil, cumin, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture onto a greased and lined oven tray.
- Place both your cauliflower and sweet potato on separate shelves in the oven. The cauliflower will need about 20-25 mins and the sweet potato slightly longer (until golden and tender). Be sure to stir both half way. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Whilst the vegetables are roasted, grill your chicken in a pan and season as desired.
- To make the dressing, place mustard, honey, lemon juice and oil in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the baby spinach, chickpeas and avocado in a large bowl and toss with half the dressing. Add the sweet potato and cauliflower rice mixing until combined.
- Divide the salad between plates, top with grilled chicken strips and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Yum yum yum! What's your favorite salad?