Baking with Mrs Bouw

Monday, March 1, 2010

After dusting off my cook books last week and displaying them in our new kitchen, I thought it was time to test out our oven! I adore baking and usually do so a few times a week, sending my baked goods off to work with my husband to share with his team. But with our relocation from Dubai to Malaysia and visits to Melbourne in between, I haven’t had all that much time in the last few months... come to think of it, one of the last things I baked was our wedding cake at the beginning of January! So yesterday I happily slipped on my apron, reached for one of my trusty cook books ‘ Instant Entertaining- by Donna Hay ’ and flipped to my favourite recipe... Lemon Curd Cupcakes!


Below image: Donna's cupcakes from the cookbook

This recipe is SO easy (they even turn out looking just as good as the picture in the book!) and SO SO delicious that I thought I would invite you all to bake with me! I can guarantee that you, your family and friends will not be disappointed... to be honest, these little delights are so divine you will not want to give them away! You may even find yourself a little teary eyed once they are all gone :)

Making the lemon curd

The curd thickening

The cupcake batter... and yes, of course I licked the mixer blades AND the bowl :)

Cutting out the cupcake circle

Spooning in the to-die-for lemon curd... *drool.

Replacing the cupcake circle... and...


Taa daa! After dusting with icing sugar these babies are complete and as I promised, they look just as good as the book!

Lemon Curd Cupcakes
125g (4 oz) butter, softened
½ cup caster (superfine) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup plain (all purpose) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup (2 fl oz) milk
Icing (confectioner’s sugar) for dusting
Paper patty cases

Lemon Curd
½ cup (4 fl oz) lemon juice (approx. 2-3 lemons)
125g (4 oz) butter, extra, chopped
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar, extra
3 eggs, extra, beaten

- Preheat the oven to 180°c (355°F).
- To make the lemon curd, place the lemon juice, extra butter, extra sugar and extra eggs in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of rapidly simmering water for 6-8 minutes, stirring continuously, or until the mixture had thickened. Refrigerate until cool.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk and beat well.
- Spoon the mixture into x12 ½ cup capacity muffin tins lined with paper patty cases and bake for 15mins or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside to cool.
- Cut a circle out of each cupcake (see pictures) and fill with the lemon curd. Top with the cupcake circle and dust with the icing sugar.
- ENJOY!!!

Have I have tempted your taste buds enough for you to give these a try? If I have, I would love to hear how you go!

I hope you enjoy the first instalment of baking with Mrs Bouw!

7 comments:

  1. Fly me and Jellybean some down, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look very delicious. Do you happen to have a vegetarian version of this cup cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks supalicious! I'm going to try it very soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aurelie: Happy baking!

    Naturalnightdew: I can't say I have tried a vegetarian version but you might want to have a look at the following sites:

    1. For a basic vegan white cupcake recipe: http://www.vegancupcakerecipes.com/basic-vegan-white-cupcake-recipe.php

    2. For a vegan lemon curd recipe: http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2006/07/leftovers-for-lunch-making-vegan.html

    3. For an eggless lemon curd recipe: http://www.grouprecipes.com/38383/eggless-lemon-curd.html

    I hope these help :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm passing on the Sunshine BLog award to you! Visit my blog for more info
    http://bellezaeluce.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sonja,

    Stumbled across your blog through fat mum slim..gotta tell you I'm a huge Donna Hay fan..she is a gem..I eagerly await my monthly magazine to arrive in the post. You've done a fantastic job on those Lemon Curd Cupcakes...divine!! Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna: Thank-you! I would want to have mastered those cupcakes after making them so many times :) I too am a huga Donna Hay fan... her recipes are simple and easy to follow not to mention delicious! BTW I just popped over to your blog and am loving those cosies! xo

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails