Below image: Donna's cupcakes from the cookbook
This recipe is SO easy (they even turn out looking just as good as the picture in the book!) and SO SO delicious that I thought I would invite you all to bake with me! I can guarantee that you, your family and friends will not be disappointed... to be honest, these little delights are so divine you will not want to give them away! You may even find yourself a little teary eyed once they are all gone :)
Making the lemon curd
The curd thickening
The cupcake batter... and yes, of course I licked the mixer blades AND the bowl :)
Cutting out the cupcake circle
Spooning in the to-die-for lemon curd... *drool.
Replacing the cupcake circle... and...
Lemon Curd Cupcakes
125g (4 oz) butter, softened
½ cup caster (superfine) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plain (all purpose) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup (2 fl oz) milk
Icing (confectioner’s sugar) for dusting
Paper patty cases
½ cup (4 fl oz) lemon juice (approx. 2-3 lemons)
125g (4 oz) butter, extra, chopped
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar, extra
3 eggs, extra, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (355°F).
- To make the lemon curd, place the lemon juice, extra butter, extra sugar and extra eggs in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of rapidly simmering water for 6-8 minutes, stirring continuously, or until the mixture had thickened. Refrigerate until cool.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk and beat well.
- Spoon the mixture into x12 ½ cup capacity muffin tins lined with paper patty cases and bake for 15mins or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside to cool.
- Cut a circle out of each cupcake (see pictures) and fill with the lemon curd. Top with the cupcake circle and dust with the icing sugar.
Have I have tempted your taste buds enough for you to give these a try? If I have, I would love to hear how you go!
I hope you enjoy the first instalment of baking with Mrs Bouw!