Baking with Mrs Bouw

Monday, March 8, 2010

Last week I mentioned that I used our new oven for the first time (whilst baking my lemon curd cupcakes) and although they were a yummy success, I wish I could say the same for the scones I attempted on Saturday morning... hmph, to say I was annoyed with myself is an understatement! How could I screw up such a basic recipe that I have baked more times than I can remember?! Well it seemed my oven and I had not yet formed that special bond and mutual understanding that is crucial for a baker and their recipes. I decided to forgive Mr Oven (yes, it is a he) for burning my scones and instead get better acquainted. So, I was up to my baking antics again yesterday afternoon and thought I would share with you the recipe I used for our wedding cake: Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.


I can't recall where I first found this recipe as I hand wrote it into a recipe book (above) that I bought for my husband a few birthdays ago... we are both guilty of having a love affair with food so I thought it would be nice for us to create a book with all of our favourite recipes of things we have cooked and baked together. This recipe is nothing fancy I know, but it is so simple, so delish and this moist cake with naughty but oh so nice frosting is always a hit with guests... not to mention the carrot part is kind of healthy right? :)

I piped large swirls on the first layer (above)...
and then smaller ones on the second layer (below)

Yum!!!

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups (440g) caster sugar
3 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrot
100g walnuts, roughly chopped
1 1/4 cups (310ml) vegetable oil
5 eggs, lightly beaten
300g sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract

Cream cheese frosting
500g cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups (500g) icing sugar

- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 25cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Sift flours, soda and spices into a large bowl. Add caster sugar, grated carrot and walnuts and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk oil, eggs, sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into pan, smoothing top with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese using electric beaters until smooth. Add vanilla and beat well. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
- Split cooled cake into 2 layers. Spread bottom layer with half the frosting. Add top, then spread with remaining frosting.

Hot tips:

- I chose to use a 15cm tin instead of a 24cm and baked the cake for 1 hour 40 mins... the above recipe will make enough mix to bake 2 small 15cm cakes instead of one large 24cm one.
- If you find your cake starts to brown too much on top but is not yet cooked through, pop a piece of foil over the top of the cake for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Splitting the cake in half is optional... but if you are baking the cake a day or so before you are going to serve it, then the extra layer of frosting will only add to the delicious moistness of this cake!
- If you prefer (and if you are confident enough) you may opt to pipe the frosting on instead of spreading for an extra pretty effect.
- If you have used the whole 500g of icing sugar and you find your frosting is a little too soft, don't be afraid to add more sugar until it is of a consistency good enough for spreading/piping.

Is 10:00am too early for a slice of this delectable treat?! I'm off to have my cake and eat it too :) Enjoy your day and happy baking! x

8 comments:

  1. Looks so pretty! I love carrot cake... I love that your oven is a "he" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how delicious! And fabulous presentation. I am definitely going to try this recipe when I return from vacation (along with your lemon cupcakes!). Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never too early for carrot cake!
    I will have to give your recipie a try!
    There is something about the word carrot that allows you to tell yourself carrot cake is good for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're most welcome ladies and thanks for your lovely comments! Please do let me know how you go if you do decide to give this recipe (or any of the others) a try :) x

    Sal R-J: I agree with both your points... it's never too early (or late for that matter) for carrot cake AND yes, the word carrot does make it easier to digest this naughty treat without too much guilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love carrot cake ...looks delicious i might try & make one for my b day this week
    thanks for sharing the recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! I'm definetely going to bake something tomorrow. Probably something from Donna Hay or M Stewart!

    I finally found out how to change the settings on my page :)

    C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mrs Bouw, I know this is an old post but where did you get that recipe journal from? It's a great gift idea with Christmas so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Apologies for the late reply, I'm just playing catchups now! Oh I bought the book over five years ago for my husbands Birthday to encourage us to create some recipes to pass on to our children... from memory I purchased it from a book store (I think it was Borders which no longer exists) but I am certain there are plenty of places that do them now... by memory Kiki K have some cute ones! :) xxx

      Delete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails