Baking with Mrs Bouw: Upside-down Banana and Toffee Cake!

Monday, March 15, 2010

How was your weekend? I had a lovely one indeed! I spent Saturday celebrating my best friends hen’s day with her family and closest girlfriends (I’ll be posting some bits and pieces created for this special day later this week) and yesterday I made a yummy Sunday lunch, hung out with my mum, my gorgeous dog, Lolly, and enjoyed the sunshine. I topped off this perfect weekend with some Sunday baking, a new weekly ritual of mine!

Call me boring, but bananas are my favourite fruit! For my fellow banana lovers, this recipe for upside-down toffee banana cake is heaven on a plate… and for those of you not usually enticed by banana desserts; this may just convince your tastebuds otherwise. Sweet, moist, sticky, rich banana love teamed with your favourite ice cream… need I say more.


Placing the sliced banana on top of the toffee.
The cake mixture goes in last. The toffee and banana will then end
up on top when the cake is turned out... hence the 'upside down' :)


This is what it should look like before placing it in the oven.


The turned out cake... *Drool... scroll down for the final product!
Upside-down toffee banana cake
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1 cup (250ml) water
2-3 Medium bananas, sliced thinly
2 eggs, beaten lightly
2/3 cup (160ml) vegetable oil
¾ cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup (100g) plain flour
1/3 cup (50g) self raising flour
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup mashed over-ripe banana

- Preheat oven to moderate (180˚C/160˚C fan-forced).
- Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan, line base with baking paper.
- Stir caster sugar and the water in medium saucepan over heat, without boiling until sugar dissolves; bring to a boil. Boil uncovered, without stirring, about 10 minutes or until caramel in colour.
- Pour toffee into lined pan and top with sliced banana.
- Combine egg, oil, brown sugar and extract in a medium bowl. Stir in sifted dry ingredients, then the mashed banana; pour mixture into pan.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes. Turn onto wire rack, peel off baking paper.
Serve cake warm or at room temperature with thick cream or ice cream if desired
- Enjoy!

I topped mine with a scoop (a large one at that) of burnt fig jam,
honeycomb & caramel ice cream and some toffee shards!

Similar to the carrot cake I baked last week, the only teeny tiny problem with this naughty recipe is that because it has 'banana' in it, my brain seems to let me think it's a healthy dessert tempting me back for slice after slice. It's breakfast time now... bananas are great for breakfast... the cake has banana in it... it can't be that bad if I have a small piece without the ice cream right?! See what I mean! :P

I hope you have a great week and happy baking! x

3 comments:

  1. Yummy, looks delicious, I'm not a fan of banana deserts, but You might have just converted me, I just checked your carrot cake too and looks incredible too, Ill definitely be making these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YAY! Thanks Helena :)

    Be sure to let me know how you go! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails