Baking with Mrs Bouw

Monday, March 29, 2010

I’ll start by confessing that this week I am cheating a little because this recipe doesn’t actually involve any ‘baking’ and it’s not really anything fancy at all, rather just a good old favourite no-bake slice! I thought it only fair that I include a few easier recipes for those of you who are a little intimidated by that big scary thing in your kitchen often referred to as an oven :)

I have been making this slice for a few years now but by memory I got the original recipe from Exclusively Food, which is a great source for online recipes! With some recipes though, I tend to change them up a little if I find a few things about the original I don’t like.

This quick and easy no-bake slice has a moist, coconutty base and a soft, sweet lemon icing sprinkled with a touch of coconut. Not only is it easy to make but it requires very few ingredients (of which are all inexpensive) and is a great way to use up those few extra lemons you may have sitting in your fruit bowl! This recipe is always a hit in my husband’s office as not only is it perfect with that afternoon cup of tea or coffee but it is a no mess, fuss free treat to share. This recipe makes about 18 pieces if you cut each slice to 4.5cm by 6cm but the great thing is you can cut the slices as big or as small as you like depending on how many sweet tooth’s you have to feed! :)

Blending the Marie biscuits...

This is what they should look like after blending.

Combining the biscuits, coconut, lemon juice
and condended milk mixture.

The base mixture before being pressed into dish...

... and after.

On goes the icing...

... followed by a sprinkle of coconut before refrigerating...

Slice and serve :)

Lemon Coconut Slice
80g butter
250g (3/4 cup)
sweetened condensed milk
250g Arnott’s Marie biscuits
85g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon (20ml) fresh lemon juice

Lemon Icing
250g (1 3/4 cups) icing sugar
2 tablespoons (40ml) fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut (for sprinkling on top of slice)
3 teaspoons of water

- Grease an 18cm by 28cm baking dish or pan and line with baking paper.
- Place butter and condensed milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when butter has melted and mixture is smooth.
- Finely crush biscuits using a blender or food processor. Stir crushed biscuits and coconut together in a large bowl until well combined.
- Stir lemon juice into condensed milk mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well combined. The mixture will appear quite wet at this stage.
- Press mixture into the prepared pan. The base of a flat-bottomed glass can be used to help press the mixture down firmly and smoothly. Refrigerate while preparing icing (see instructions below).
- Spread lemon icing over slice and sprinkle with extra coconut.
- Refrigerate slice until cold and firm then remove from the pan and cut into pieces. Store slice in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

Lemon Icing
- Combine icing sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add a few drops of water at a time if you find the icing is thickening too quickly.
- Stir until mixture is warm to the touch and completely smooth.
- Remove from heat and use immediately.


How easy is that?! Have a splendid week and happy no-baking :) x

P.S. Oooh one more thing... this coming weekend I plan to try a recipe that I have never baked before but one that has had me drooling ever since I saw it. AND I think it might just be a perfect one for Easter! Or maybe I'm just using Easter as an excuse to make something truly naughty! :)

7 comments:

  1. love your recipes...they are always to die for have a lovely week :)Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks delicious, I want to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite recipes my dear. You know I'll be making it sooner or later, thanks Son x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Arent you just the Martha Stewart...love it..and I love the fact that its a no bake..awesome job and looks delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum Yum! I just discovered your blog today after seeing your kitchen in an old blog of Made by Girl. My name is Sonja too and I live in Melbourne but I'm originally from the States. I'm really enjoying your blog!

    Cheers!
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, thank-you for your sweet comments loveliest ladies :) x

    Anonymous... which one of my 'real life friends' (tee hee) are you? x

    Sonja: Another Sonja with a 'J' YAY :)Welcome my dear... I am pleased you are enjoying my blog so far! I am from Melbourne but am currently living in KL... how are you enjoying the beautiful Melbourne? x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across your blog today via Made By Girl. I'm loving it!!!

    This recipe for Lemon Coconut Slice brought back so many memories of growing up in Brisbane and of my grandma - I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

    Adore adore adore the blog - keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails