Baking with Mrs Bouw

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I’ve been a little slack in the kitchen lately but with hubby travelling so frequently for work, it’s never as much fun cooking for one. So after going two Sunday’s in a row without baking I was itching for the relaxing and rewarding fix that baking gives me and was back in the kitchen yesterday afternoon! This week I thought I would use up some of the granny smith apples I had in the fruit bowl and share with you what might possibly be one of the easiest recipes yet! With only a few simple steps, you can whip up these scrumptious little apple crumb cakes in no time at all! They are yummy all year round although I particularly like them on a cold winter evening and are a great (and easy!) dessert for a small dinner party or even afternoon tea!

Placing almost all of the ingredients
straight into the mix master.

This is what your mixture should look like.

Combining the ingredients
for the topping...

Toss in the apple slices...

This is what your crumb cakes
will look like before baking...

And after!


Warm Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cakes
60g (2 oz) butter, softened
2/3 cup superfine caster sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup plain (all purpose) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Topping
2 teaspoons plain (all purpose) flour, extra
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, extra
20g butter, extra, melted
½ large green apple, cored and thinly sliced

- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Place butter, caster sugar, cinnamon, egg, sour cream, flour and baking powder in a food processor or mix master and process until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into x4 1 cup capacity greased non-stick muffin tins.
- To make the topping, combine the extra flour, brown sugar, extra cinnamon and extra butter.
- Toss the apple slices in the flour mixture and place on top of the cakes. Sprinkle with any remaining flour mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cakes are cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream... enjoy! :P

Too easy my friends... and served warm with a scoop of your favourite ice-cream, who could resist cosying up on the couch with one of these babies :P

Happy baking and happy hump day! x

9 comments:

  1. Oh Yummy...they look delicious..Im going to have to try out this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. o.m.g yuuuummmm!
    stuff my diet - i am going to make some of these! Was starting to worry with no posts from you yesterday ;)
    sal x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fan of your recipees and the photos that go with them. Please post more! Aurelie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I was your neighbour! Bree x

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your recipes too, and this one in particular, so the bottom is purely cake not crust?
    Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helena: yes my dear, the bottom is purely cake but even without the topping the cake is delish! Even though I baked them yesterday, they stay nice and fresh for a few days in an air tight container. I had half of one today spread with he tiniest bit of butter... naughty I know but so yummy! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks really yummy!!
    have a sweet day :)
    tiina
    www.elcestockholm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these last night! YUM YUM YUM!!
    Only i accidentally put SR flour in & we had a little overflow but they taste amazing! Infact im eating one with my morning coffee now!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh YAY Sally!!!

    Thanks so much for letting me know... I love hearing when my readers actually try the recipes I post... even more so when they are happy with the result :)

    Enjoy your little crumb cake and have a great day my dear! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails