Baking with Mrs Bouw: Banana Bread!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This week’s recipe may not sound fancy, and it definitely doesn’t look that fancy but if you must know, it is one of my absolute favourites! I am proud to say I have made this recipe my own by combining bits and pieces from recipes that I ‘liked’ creating a recipe that I truly LOVE! My banana bread exudes everything that home baking should; it’s easy to make, it’s heavenly scent wafts through the house as it bakes, it is moist, sweet but not too sweet, will leave you wanting just one more ‘slither’ and lastly, it is filled with that home baked goodness you often find in your mum or grandmas famous recipes... oh and you can’t go past the fact that it tastes even better with just a smidgen of butter spread on top. Need I say more?! :)


Creaming the butter, sugar and vanilla essence...


This is what it should look like onced creamed.

Adding the eggs, flour, bicarb soda,
mixed spice, cinnamon and salt.

Mix well.

After mixing...

Add the banana and walnuts..

This is what your final mixture should look like...

Simply pour into your loaf tin and pop it in the oven...

Heaven!


Mrs Bouw's Banana Loaf

½ cup butter
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 large eggs, well beaten
1 ¼ cups plain (all purpose) flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
Pinch of salt
3-4 ripe bananas mashed
½ cup roughly chopped walnuts

- Preheat the oven to 180°c
- Grease and line the bottom of a  9 x 5 inch loaf tin (23cm x 13cm x 8cm)
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla esscence in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy
- Add the eggs, flour, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and salt and mix well.
- Stir in the bananas and walnuts until combined.
- Pour the mixture into your greased loaf tin and bake for 50mins or until cooked when tested with a skewer (please note: if you loaf is browning too much on top but is not yet cooked through, place a sheet of foil over the top to stop any burning).
- Let it sit in for 10mins before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- You can serve it warm but I prefer it at room temperature with just a smidgen of butter :P
- Enjoy!


There you have it, one of my favourite recipes. Perfect for any season and any occasion. Hubby and I had a few slices on Sunday night but like most of my baked goods, I sent the rest off to work with my husband on Monday morning. I am afraid my self control is not that great and before I know it that 'oh just one more slither' turns into a few more 'slithers' and before I know it I've eaten half the blooming cake! But hey, I know I'm not alone there :P

As always, happy baking my friends! x

6 comments:

  1. looks delicious, did you mash the bananas before adding them to the mix? If I cut them in slices will it work? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my dear! Yes, I mash the bananas before adding... I have never tried adding them in sliced but I don't imagine the result would be as nice as the mashed banana really adds to the moistness of the loaf... I hope that helps :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are just the best wifey!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was absolutely delicious, moist as promised and the spices add that extra touch! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to attempting the carrot one next, perhaps for Mother's Day!
    -Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think it would still work with only two bananas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will still work with x2 bananas although the banana flavour will not be as strong and it may also to be as moist x

      Delete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails