Baking with Mrs Bouw

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Before you read ahead, it might be wise to decide now that tomorrow will be the day you 'start your diet' because this recipe is not one that is overly kind to the waistline but boy does it hit the spot! I realised the other day that I hadn't yet included any recipes for my fellow chocolate lovers so to make up for it, today's recipe is chocolate overload... chocolate mud cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing YUM! The original recipe was actually for a cake (not cupcakes) which I found via Exclusively Food which I then changed up a little. Please, I urge you not to discount this as 'just another basic chocolate cupcake recipe' because honestly, these are to*die*for. I felt rather full of myself after eating one of these (in more ways than one :P) after declaring 'Geez I'm a bloody good cook, these are incredible!'... But what can I say, my tastebuds never lie :) This recipe makes about 24 cupcakes which is an ideal amount for parties, family get together's or to take into work (which is what hubby did). Although be sure to keep a few for yourself before giving them all away as I almost shed a tear when all that was left in my hand was the patty case ;(

Before melting the chocolate, butter, coffee and water...

And after. Set aside to cool.

Adding the sugar to my sifted flour,
cocoa and bicarbonate of soda.

Adding the whisked eggs, oil, buttermilk
and vanilla to the dry ingredients.

Once combined, add the melted chocolate mixture in batches.

It should be of this consistancy once
all ingredients are combined.

Fill patty cases to about 3/4 full
and bake as instructed below!

Beating the butter for the icing...

This is what is should look before adding
the icing sugar, cocoa and milk...

And after.

The final product... heaven!

Moist Chocolate Mud Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Icing
250g chocolate (I used 100g dark chocolate and 150g milk chocolate)
250g salted butter
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules/powder
3/4 cup water
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 1/2 cups caster sugar
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk (if you can’t find butter milk, simply add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to your ½ cup of milk)

Chocolate Buttercream Icing
250g butter, softened
2 cups (320g) icing (confectioner's) sugar mixture, sifted
½ cup (50g) cocoa powder, sifted
1 tablespoons milk

- Preheat oven to 140°c- 150°c for fan-forced oven, or 160°c if not fan-forced.
- Place you patty cases in your muffin/cupcake tray
- Place 250g chocolate, butter, coffee and water in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once chocolate and butter have melted, remove mixture from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda together into a very large bowl.
- Add the caster sugar to the bowl with the flour mixture, and stir the ingredients together until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, place eggs, oil, vanilla and buttermilk and whisk until well combined
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg and flour mixture in a three batches, stirring until combined after each addition.
- Pour mixture into prepared patty cases.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Important note: This cake is designed to be super moist so if the skewer comes out clean or with moist crumbs (not gooey batter) attached, the cupcakes are ready. If not, return them to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes before testing again.
- Once cooked through, remove cakes from the oven, then remove individual cupcakes from the muffin tins, place on a cooling rack and cover with a clean tea towel and allow to cool.

Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add the icing sugar mixture, cocoa powder and milk and beat for a further 6 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes using a star-shaped nozzle and top with whatever your heart desires! I used glace cherries and sprinkles :)
- Enjoy!

Please note: These cupcakes should be stored in an airtight container. If you icing begins to soften, place the cupcakes in their airtight container in the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature before serving.

I confess and plead guilty... the bite (ok, maybe two bites) out of the above cupcake were taken not long after breakfast time. This dense, moist, sweet little piece of heaven was calling my name and with all that butter, at least I met my dairy intake for the day :P

Not only are they easy and fun to make, but who doesn't love cupcakes right?! And I promise you, if baked correctly, these babies will not let you down! Happy baking! x

10 comments:

  1. I REALLY wish i was your neighbour. How would they go express post?? Bree ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum ..chocolate!!! .i have a weakness for chocolate i want one of those scrumptious cupcakes thanks for sharing Sonja XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. good lord, those look GOOD. the best thing about 6-months up the duff.., is that I have no waistline to speak of anyway! Thanks for visiting my blog BTW, I think its so cute that you read baby name blogs before you're even pregnant! I havnt even got around to that yet, and I have 4 months to go! Can you recommend any good ones???

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look amazing! I am so impressed that you stopped at two bites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. firstly they look gorgeous secondly delicious, well done!! yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness....these look heavenly!! And they contain 2 of my favourite things - chocolate & coffee!! I will definitely be giving this recipe a try soon! Thanks for sharing Son :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh thank-you my lovelies... they are even more delicious than they look! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these yesterday and they are YUM to the MAX!!!! My diet for the last 24 hours has pretty much been cupcakes lol.

    I blogged about them too:
    http://champagne-and-bubbles.blogspot.com/2010/05/friday-drool.html

    Thanks for the recipe :)

    BuBbles
    x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY for bubbles!!! Well done, they look great... AND see I promised they would be DELICIOUS! Great idea practicing before the actual event, now you will find them even easier the second time around! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are QUITE the cook....always impressed by your food. :)

    Jen Ramos
    www.madebygirl.com
    madebygirl.blogspot.com
    --

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails