Baking with Mrs Bouw

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Remember those deliciously moist, out of this world Chocolate Mud Cupcakes I posted earlier this month? Well consider this week's recipe to be a very close relation... perhaps an equally tasty and just as good looking older brother... a family, oops I mean recipe, enticing to almost anyone with good taste :P

I decided on this recipe for a few reasons. 1) Mr Bouw pleaded with me to 'get rid of the stash of chocolate' in the cupboard after polishing off a block of white chocolate in two nights. I tried to explain to him that it was suppose to be for baking purposes but that didn't stop him. 2) Seeing as BB has relinquished all my desires for chocolates and sweets, I thought I would make something that was practical for Mr B to take into work. 3) It's my birthday this Sunday!!! And what could be more perfect for a birthday than sweet, pretty cupcakes :)

And very sweet they are... if you love white chocolate and are a major sweet tooth you will adore these babies! They are so very easy to make and can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and are also suitable to freeze (just make sure you bring to room temperature before serving). You know what this means... they can be made ahead of time, YAY! This recipe made about 16-18 cupcakes.

The chocolate, butter, sugar and milk before melting...

... And after.

Once chocolate mixture has cooled,
add the eggs and vanilla essence.

Combine your sifted flours...

Add chocolate mixture in batches...

Stirring until combined after each addition.

This is what your final mixture should look like.

Fill patty cases until about 3/4 full
and bake as instructed below!

YUM! So sweet right! And in more ways than one :)


White Chocolate Mud cupcakes
300g white chocolate (use Cadbury Dream white chocolate if you can)
200g butter
1 cup milk
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup self-raising flour
1 cup plain flour

Vanilla Buttercream Icing
250g butter, softened
6-8 cups icing (confectioner's) sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 tablespoons milk
Food colouring is desired
- Preheat oven to 160°C degrees Celsius (145°C if your oven is fan-forced).
- Line your muffin pans with patty cases. I used normal paper patty cases that measure 5cm across the base and 8cm across the top.
- Place chocolate, butter, milk and sugar in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Once chocolate and butter have melted, remove from heat and stir (I use a whisk) until the mixture is completely smooth. Set aside to cool until mixture is at room temperature.
- Once cooled, add vanilla essence and eggs to chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
- Combine sifted flours together in a large bowl.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg and flour mixture in a three batches, stirring until combined after each addition and until mixture is completely smooth. This method will help prevent a lumpy mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared patty cases until ¾ full.
- Please note: these cakes will rise during cooking but will sink back a little once cooled.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Important note: This cake is designed to be super moist so if the skewer comes out clean or with moist crumbs (not gooey batter) attached, the cupcakes are ready. If not, return them to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes before testing again.
- Once cooked through, remove cakes from the oven, then remove individual cupcakes from the muffin tins, place on a cooling rack and cover with a clean tea towel and allow to cool.

Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Gradually add half the icing sugar, then the milk and vanilla essence and beat for about 3-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (approx 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough or spreading consistency.
- If desired, add a few drops of food colouring and mix thoroughly.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes using a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle (or nozzle of your choice) and top with whatever your heart desires!
- Enjoy!

I made Mr Bouw take a bite of this one,
I just couldn't stomach it this week...
do you think he was complaining?! :)

There you go my friends, another must have recipe to add to your collection! I'm rather excited today as you may remember me mentioning that Hubby is taking me away for my birthday weekend to a place called Pangkor Island :) Tomorrow is a public holiday here in KL so we are heading off quite early in the morning which means I can't promise I will be able to get a 'Tickle my fancy Friday' post up before we go... but I'll sure try my best! Oh and I must share that this weeks photos were taken with my new Digital SLR camera... an early birthday pressie, thank-you my darling! Have a gorgeous day and happy baking! x

5 comments:

  1. your recipes are always to die for ..love it
    hope you have a great weekend sweetie and by the way i think i did it right ..i popped over to Aslina's blog who is giving away a rug and i mentioned your name in my comment as one of my entry post on her site ..is that right??? good luck in the entry luvy XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owh i'm definitely gonna try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - I HAVE to give these a try - they look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you make this into a cake also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, indeed you can... please refer to my latest post for all the details :) x

      Delete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails