Baking with Mrs Bouw

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hello my blogging friends! Oh I feel a little guilty that I have been neglecting my blog and haven't posted in over a week... BUT I have a perfectly good excuse... I am enjoying my trip home to Melbourne too much to spend hours in front of a laptop!

I have had a brilliant week spending time with dear family and friends, enjoying the shops I always miss living overseas, purchasing goodies for Baby Bouw, sucking up the very chilly winter weather (a welcomed change from the heat in KL), driving my car and the joys of Australian supermarkets... it's the little things I always miss! AND I still have one week left :)

So, for now I thought I would share with you the recipe for a cake I baked last week whilst I was still in KL. Although I first saw a recipe for a Hummingbird Cake many years ago, this was my first time baking it. I must say, this cake was exceptionally easy to make and the result was absolutely heavenly! As always, I kept a few slices for Mr B and I and sent the rest off to work with him, and as always, he returned home with feedback on my baked goods... and, well, this moist, sweet, moreish cake won the hearts of everyone that was quick enough to grab a slice. Not to mention it has now officially moved to the top of Mr B's list of favourite cakes!!!

Straining the pineapple and
reserving some of the syrup.

Combine the sifted flours, bicarbonate
of soda, spices and sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine mashed banana, egg,
coconut, oil & reserved syrup.

Your cake mixture once all ingredients are combined...

Pour into cake pan and pop into the oven!

A little slice of heaven!


Hummingbird Cake with Cream cheese Frosting
450g can crushed pineapple in syrup
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of sods
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 desiccated coconut
1 cup mashed banana
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Cream Cheese Frosting
250g cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted

Method

- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C if you oven is fan-forced)
- Grease and line a 23cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Drain pineapple over medium bowl, pressing with spoon to extract as much syrup as possible. Ensure you reserve 1/4 cup of the syrup and set aside.
- Sift flours, soda, spices and sugar into a large bowl.
- Stir in pineapple, reserved syrup, coconut, banana, egg and oil; pour into pan.
- Bake, uncovered for about 45-50minutes or until skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Stand cake for 5 minutes before turning cake (top side up) onto a cooling rack and cover with a clean tea towel.

Cream cheese frosting
- Beat the icing sugar and butter in an electric mixer on medium to slow speed until mixture comes together.
- Add the cream cheese in one go and bet until it is completely combined.
- Turn the mixer up to a medium-high speed and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy and a good piping consistency.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cooled cake.
- Enjoy!


SOOOO delicious!

Another 'must have' recipe to add to your collection and one that I know will become a regular in our household! :)
That's all from me for another few days. My darling hubby arrives in the early hours on Friday morning and we have a road trip and a family weekend away to look forward to! Wishing you a gorgeous weekend! What perfect winter weather it is in Oz to cosy up inside, do some baking and enjoy your treats with a hot cup of tea, coffee or chocolate... enjoy!!! x

6 comments:

  1. Oooh yummy....another delightful treat from you :) Thank you for sharing!!
    Glad to hear you're having a lovely time back home...don't feel guilty for not blogging...just enjoy your trip & catching up with everyone!
    What lovelies have u bought Baby Bouw?
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks SO delicious Sonja! Can't wait to try it out. I love the last photo and the way you've piped on the frosting. Enjoy your weekend and your last few days here in Australia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you are having a good time Sonja! Enjoy the rest of your stay and thank you for sharing the recipe, it sounds yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for Fathers' Day. It was deeee-lish!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. psssst - I've dobbed you in for a little quiz I got sent today from a fellow blogger!! Love you to take part, visit my blog tomoz morn for the questions -- no pressure, of course! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much lovely ladies... I had a lovely time in Oz indeed :)

    Natalie: YAY that you loved the cake! :)

    Ladies: It really is so simple and SO delicious you must give it a go :)

    Claire: I made my first few purchases of baby clothes for BB... it is far too easy to get carried away though :P x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails