Baking with Mrs Bouw

Monday, July 26, 2010

Hi there, I hope you had a great weekend! Ours was the perfect mix of fun and productivity... gotta love ticking things off the always growing 'to do' list!

As you know I've been a little preoccupied lately (and a bit of a scatter brain to be honest) but after weeks of applying my attention to all things baby, I am happy to report that last week I took some time out to relax and do one of the things I enjoy the most, baking! And oh how I missed it! I know some of you might find cooking and baking quite stressful and a little daunting but for some reason I find it very therapeutic, so much fun and quite rewarding, even more so if your recipes are a success :)

I am wise enough to know that I cannot have a dozen cupcakes in the place when I am the only one home to eat them, so I coincided my batch of baked goods with Mr B's return from his trip to India... that way I could keep a couple for us and send the rest off with hubby to share with his colleagues. The below recipe is one I just kinda threw together myself using a combination of a few of my favourite recipes! In my opinion, these little suckers are the perfect mix of naughty and nice (hey, the fruit and nut part is healthy... right?) and like most of my recipes are super easy to make! The creamcheese of course adds to the magic of these banana, walnut and cinnamon cupcakes but is by no means absolutely necessary if you do want to escape a little bit of the guilt that often comes with indulging in a sweet treat! But heck, it's all or nothing here in the Bouw household so the creamcheese frosting is not negotiable :)

Combine the margarine, sugar and vanilla essence
and beat until smooth and creamy.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, eggs, bicarb soda,
baking powder, spices and salt.

Mash your bananas and roughly chop your walnuts.

Combine the three steps.

This is what your mixture should look like...

Pour mixture into prepared patty cases and pop in the oven.

D to the licious!

Banana, Walnut & Cinnamon Cupcakes with Creamcheese Frosting
½ cup margarine
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 large eggs, well beaten
1 ¼ cups plain (all purpose) flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
Pinch of salt
2 ripe bananas mashed
½ cup roughly chopped walnuts

Cream Cheese Frosting
250g cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups (500g) icing sugar

- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160°c if fan-forced).
- Line your muffin pans with patty cases. I used normal paper patty cases that measure 5cm across the base and 8cm across the top.
- Place the margarine, sugar and vanilla essence in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy
- Add the eggs, flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt and mix well.
- Stir in the bananas and walnuts until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared patty cases until ¾ full.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Once cooked through, remove cakes from the oven, then remove individual cupcakes from the muffin tins, place on a cooling rack and cover with a clean tea towel and allow to cool.

Creamcheese frosting
- For frosting, beat cream cheese using electric beaters until smooth. Add vanilla and beat well.
- Gradually add icing sugar, beating until smooth and creamy and of a thick consistency for piping.
- Spread or pipe on cream cheese frosting as desired.
- Enjoy!!!

Too yummy for words.

There you go my friends, another recipe that I promise will not disappoint... well that's not completely true... you will be quite disappointed once they are all gone because they are honestly SO yummy! As always, I encourage you to give them a go :)

I hope you all have a brilliant start to the week! x

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipe Son, I love recipes like this where I have all the ingrediants in the pantry! I will give them a go. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look divine Son!!!! I ADORE cream cheese frosting and I will definitely be giving these cupcakes of yours a try soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Glad you had an enjoyable and productive weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a pleasure :)

    Ladies, make sure you let me know how you go if you do give them a try! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails