Baking with Mrs Bouw

Monday, October 11, 2010

How was your weekend? Mine was pretty uneventful and very similar to the one before. A walk in the park on Saturday morning followed by shopping, lunch and a movie. And Sunday consisted of more shopping for BB, a trip to the bookstore, some groceries, more online shopping for BB (I know I know, I am a typical 'first time parent' and going completely overboard!) a gym workout and finally, some baking!

This recipe is by no means a 'wow recipe' but it is SO simple and oozes home baked goodness! It is a favourite on Mr B's side of the family and one that his Grandma is famous for! Grandma V passed her recipe on to me a few years ago and I made a few small additions to it by adding walnuts, some vanilla essence etc. Served with a smidgen (more like a great big smear tee hee) of butter, this Date & Nut Loaf is the perfect thing to serve up whilst chatting over a cup of tea or coffee. You've gotta love a good old fashioned favourite!

Place dates, sugar, butter, vanilla essence
and bicarbonate soda in a bowl.

Add boiling water...

Sift together the flour, cinnamon and
then add the chopped walnuts.

This is what your mixture should look like
before pouring into the prepared tin.

A good old fashioned favourite at it's best!

Date and Walnut Loaf!
125grams butter, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dates, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 cup boiling water
1 egg, well beaten
1 ¾ cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped

- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160°c if fan-forced).
- Grease and line your loaf tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the dates, sugar , butter, vanilla essence and bicarbonate soda in a bowl.
- Add boiling water, stirring occasionally, until butter has melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and cinnamon and add the chopped walnuts.
- Add the beaten egg to the cooled mixture and mix well.
- Combine both the wet and dry ingredients into the one bowl and mix well.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. (Please note: if you loaf is browning too much on top but is not yet cooked through, place a sheet of foil over the top to stop any burning).
- Once cooked, remove from oven and allow to stand in tin for about 10mins before turning out.
- Turn out onto wire rack and cover with a clean tea towel to cool completely.
- Slice and serve with butter (the butter is ‘optional’ but in my opinion is a must)!
- Enjoy :)

Yum yum yum! Just make sure you have plenty of people to share it with otherwise I can guarantee it will disappear slither by slither and before you know it you will have eaten the whole loaf yourself!

This weekend I plan to try a recipe I haven't baked before... if all goes well I will share with you next week! Happy baking! x

7 comments:

  1. It does look very yummy!
    Hummm maybe I will have time to bake this week, I hope so.

    Also as a first time parent, aren't you supposed to go overboard? If not I don't know what is going to happen, as every time one of my friends become pregnant (or they wife does) I tend to go completely nuts and buy loads of little things. Can't imagine I will be doing less so when the time comes for myself!

    My weekend was so good! I finally had time for a long needed date with my boyfriend (no time due to work and school), so we went on the most cheesy amazing date. I will actually be posting a few pictures from it later on.

    Have a great week, and enjoy the baked goods.
    <3 Nicole Lisa
    http://www.blushcode.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dates and walnut loaf?? I've never heard of it but I love it already!

    http://ashleyanderic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Son!
    That looks absolutely delicious and a must add to my limited repertoire!
    I got adventurous on Sunday and made wholemeal bread with the kids. Looked sensational but the loaf was roar in the middle and the bread rolls were like rocks. Willem said "No offence mum, they are disgusting!"
    Very inspiring Son! I'll let you know how I go.
    Lots of love,
    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I am so into walnuts at the moment after snubbing them for years!

    Now I want them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there,

    This was an amazing recipes. By the look of the photos, I just had to try 'em. Unfortunately I didn't have dates, so I switch 'em with prunes instead. And it was marvellous. I love your recipes because it comes with lovely photos. Please posts more !!

    Wonder if you bake breads too ??

    Thanks a lot dear. Have a good day ahead..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments ladies! x

    And Sarah, thanks for the feedback... I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the recipe. I must admit, I often get confused between prunes and dates and buy the wrong thing at the supermarket... so it is great to know the recipe was just as nice using prunes!

    I'm hoping to do some more baking this w/e so will be sure to share with you all if I do! :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo! I am a big fan of these types of teatime treats to enjoy with a cuppa so will have to give this one a go for sure :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails