This recipe is by no means a 'wow recipe' but it is SO simple and oozes home baked goodness! It is a favourite on Mr B's side of the family and one that his Grandma is famous for! Grandma V passed her recipe on to me a few years ago and I made a few small additions to it by adding walnuts, some vanilla essence etc. Served with a smidgen (more like a great big smear tee hee) of butter, this Date & Nut Loaf is the perfect thing to serve up whilst chatting over a cup of tea or coffee. You've gotta love a good old fashioned favourite!
Date and Walnut Loaf!
125grams butter, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dates, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 cup boiling water
1 egg, well beaten
1 ¾ cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160°c if fan-forced).
- Grease and line your loaf tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the dates, sugar , butter, vanilla essence and bicarbonate soda in a bowl.
- Add boiling water, stirring occasionally, until butter has melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and cinnamon and add the chopped walnuts.
- Add the beaten egg to the cooled mixture and mix well.
- Combine both the wet and dry ingredients into the one bowl and mix well.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. (Please note: if you loaf is browning too much on top but is not yet cooked through, place a sheet of foil over the top to stop any burning).
- Once cooked, remove from oven and allow to stand in tin for about 10mins before turning out.
- Turn out onto wire rack and cover with a clean tea towel to cool completely.
- Slice and serve with butter (the butter is ‘optional’ but in my opinion is a must)!
- Enjoy :)
Yum yum yum! Just make sure you have plenty of people to share it with otherwise I can guarantee it will disappear slither by slither and before you know it you will have eaten the whole loaf yourself!
This weekend I plan to try a recipe I haven't baked before... if all goes well I will share with you next week! Happy baking! x