Baking with Mrs Bouw

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ok, so I think I have taken this whole ‘nesting’ thing to a new level... our place is spotless. I have lost count of how many times I have dusted, vacuumed and mopped (just for the sake of it might I add), the four bathrooms (and 6 toilets!) have been scrubbed, all the washing is done, the cupboards are stocked and the nursery is ready for BB to move on in. So, now that I am pretty much just playing the ‘waiting game’ I have all the time in the world to bake! Plus it gives me something to clean up afterwards :P

It has been a few years since I have made this recipe (taken from my trusty Woman’s Weekly ‘Cook’ book) and I forgot how easy and yummy they are! If you are a fan of lemony treats (like my hubby) you will be sure to enjoy these sweet and tangy squares... the perfect thing to satisfy that afternoon craving or to serve to visitors over afternoon tea!

Combine the butter and icing sugar and beat until smooth...

This is what your mixture will look like
once you've added the flour.

Press mixture into prepared greased and lined pan,
bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Combine eggs, caster sugar, remaining flour,
rind and juice and whisk until combined.

This is what your filling will look like.

This is how your base should appear
after baking for 15 minutes...

Pour egg mixture over hot base
and pop back in the oven.

Ta-da... too easy!

Tangy Lemon Squares
125g butter
¼ cup icing sugar
1 ¼ cups plain flour
3 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
½ cup lemon juice

- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C for a fan-forced oven).
- Grease a 23cm square pan and line the base and two opposite sides of the pan with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sifted icing sugar into a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in one cup of the sifted flour.
- Press mixture over base of pan and bake, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until browned lightly.
- Place eggs, caster sugar, remaining sifted flour, rind and juice in a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour egg mixture over hot base and bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until firm.
- Cool in pan on wire rack. Lift slice from pan before cutting. Dust with extra sifted icing sugar if desired.
- Enjoy :)

Another simple yet delicious recipe to add to your collection using basic ingredients you will most likely already have in your cupboards and fridge at home!

I'm quietly hoping BB decides to join the party a week early... if you can hear me my little one, this Saturday would be nice please! I had my second dream two nights ago that bubba arrives on the 13th (not the due date of the 21st) so am curious to see if my dreams come true! As for today, well it's a gorgeous sunny morning here in KL so I might grab one of my many 'baby books' and a lounge by the pool and torture myself some more by reading all the nitty gritty details involved in giving birth. And once I get sick of that, well, I can always vacuum one more time. Yep, I sure know how to show myself a good time :P

Have a great day my friends and happy baking! x

10 comments:

  1. Goodluck on Saturday, if you have had 2 dreams about it, I think your subconscious mind is trying to tell you something.

    Can't wait to see the Gender/ Room reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum i might just have to try this recipe!! :) thanks! have fun waiting for the lil bubba!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its been a while since I checked in with you Mrs Bouw, but I can't believe how quickly Bb's Birthday is coming up.
    Now I have to say your very funny suggesting these treats would be around for afternoon tea or guests...my problem would be making them and then eating all but 2. 1 for hubby to taste and one for me to share with hubby.;-)
    Happy reading...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely... enjoy the nesting...

    xxx
    CEO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I remember this stage so well...even though it was over 12 years ago! I was so impatient to meet my gorgeous Daisy (I now have a Sebastien too!) but I wish I had relaxed and relished those last weeks a bit more...good luck, Bubba will come when he/she is good and ready x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delish! Will definately try them :)
    Hope the baby makes an earlier arrival for you as I know the anticipation is unbearable! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you are really up and about in these last few days ! Good luck and soo can't wait to see BB and his/her nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of luck!! I'm pretty sure you'll make a beautiful and such a caring mom! Liken many others, I can't wait to see the nursery as well :) When is the room tour ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks delicious! And congrats on your upcoming baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last year I had the same dream, but mine came true: My little girl was born on Friday, Nov. 13 instead of her due date Nov. 21. I also said this from the very beginning of my pregnancy to everyone who would listen (or not).

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails