Kimmi, Kokeshi & Babooshka Dolls

Wednesday, March 23, 2011


Most of you are probably familiar with the Kimmi Dolls (aka Kokeshi dolls) I have displayed in my kitchen (above). What you might not know is that I have a soft spot for both Kokeshi dolls and Matryoshka (aka Babooshka) dolls. Between Allegra and I we have a few bits and pieces inspired by both types of dolls including this blankie that my sister bought for Allegra before she was born...

This photo was taken almost a month ago...
Allegra @ 3 months old.

I love the story behind what Kokeshi dolls stand for...

'Kokeshi dolls have been a Japanese cultural institution for over two centuries. Giving and receiving Kokeshi dolls dates back to the Edo period (1603-1867) in Japan. Kokeshi dolls were handcrafted by woodwork artisans of the time known as Kijiya, (which means woodworker in Japanese) to be given away as tokens of love and friendship. Kokeshi dolls were given as gifts to newborn children as a lucky charm to bestow good wishes for a healthy child.'

Above: Kimmi Doll Collectables

Yesterday a friend of mine was kind enough to forward me the link to the T2 webpage as she thought these T2 Kokeshi Jars were right up my alley (thanks Bree!)...

These jars come in red...

Yellow...

And blue.

I was already a fan of T2's beautiful products, however, I had not yet seen these cute and practical, hand painted, air tight jars! Perfect for either decoration or storage or perhaps the perfect gift to give as they are a symbol of love and friendship!

How about you... are you a fan of Kokeshi or Matryoshka dolls?!

Happy hump day :) x

6 comments:

  1. The T2 jars are so cute Son but nowhere near as gorgeous as your daughter. Allegra is just perfect and she always looks so relaxed. I am so glad that you are enjoying motherhood, I am looking forward to having a baby in the house again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those T2jars are great - right up my alley as well! And I agree, Allegra is always so chill ... can't believe how fast she's growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love Kimi Dolls! I think they're a perfect gift for a newborn babygirl or as a housewarming gift. I can't get enough of them:)

    Clau
    http://blogdaclauzinha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute! I have been eyeing off those white measuring cup dolls for at least a year now... and those kokeshi dolls are so cute! I love T2 too... havnt been there for ages but I have a few of their tea tins lined up prettily in my windowsill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am recently became a fan after seeing them at EQ3 store at the mall! i think they are soooo adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them!!! they're sooo cute!i've got one myself acctually from a friend. so elegant and cute! these show real beaty.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails