Baking with Mrs Bouw!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Hi there! The last few weeks have been quite hectic indeed! They've included house hunting, a trip to Sydney and back (more on that later), organising bits and pieces for our big move, booking removalists, flights, a little packing and I have had my inlaws visiting since last weekend all of which has been keeping me on my toes! But rather than bore you with all of those details I thought I would do a LONG overdue 'Baking with Mrs Bouw' post! I had a lovely ladies morning tea to attend yesterday and thought these bite size cupcakes would be ideal! It was my first time baking these little suckers and I must admit, they were super easy and so delicious! The original recipe is from 'The Hummingbird Bakery ~ Cupcakes and Muffins' cook book but as always, I played around with it a little by adding a few ingredients I thought were missing. Ooh, and I decided to try their recipe for the cream cheese frosting (as I found that the quantities I had previously used from other cook books gave an inconsistent result) but this time the icing turned out just perfectly so I'll be using this one going forward! And those of you who have been following my baking posts for a while now know that I love my frosting! This recipe makes 12 standard size cupcakes, however, I used slightly smaller patty cases which made 16 cupcakes.

Place the dry ingredients and butter in the bowl of
 an electric mixer and beat on a low speed until
 combined and of a sandy consistency.
Add the milk, eggs and vanilla essence and beat well ensuring
 you scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl.
This is what your mixture should look like.
Add the pumpkin puree and stir by hand until evenly dispensed.
Here's what your final mixture should look like.
Cupcakes before being iced...
And after!

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream cheese frosting
1 cup all purpose plain flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
Pinch of salt
50 grams (3 tablespoons) butter at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup full cream milk
2 eggs
200 grams canned pumpkin puree

Cream cheese frosting
2 1/3 cups icing/confectioners sugar, sifted
50 grams (3 tablespoons) butter at room temperature
125 grams cream cheese

- Preheat oven to 170° C
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice, salt and butter in an electric mixer and beat on a slow speed until combined and of a sandy consistency.
- Add the milk, eggs and vanilla essence and beat well ensuring you scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree by hand until evenly dispersed.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden and cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack and covering with a clean tea towel to cool completely.

Cream cheese frosting
- Beat the icing sugar and butter in an electric mixer on medium-slow speed until mixture comes together.
- Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely combined.
- Turn the mixer up to a medium-high speed and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Be careful not to overbeat as it can quickly become runny.
- Spread or pipe icing onto cooled cupcakes.
- Enjoy! :)


And yes, they are as sweet as they look! So go on, give them a go!

I hope you have a lovely weekend! This is the second last one we will spend as expats... because in just 13 sleeps we will be home sweet home... this time FOR GOOD! Exciting times indeed! Enjoy and happy baking! :) x

4 comments:

  1. they look amazing!!!
    They just opened a Hummingbird bakery between my walk from work to home, you can imagine my happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look soooo delicious - absolutely have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Son,

    Gosh how i missed your blogs. And I could see how excited you are to move back to homeland.. Dont forget to continue bloggin ! Of course, we would love to see Allegra grow and more decorating ideas from you ...

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails