Baking with Mrs Bouw!

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Image is my own


Earlier in the year my Mummy friends and I decided to start up a monthly cooking club as a good excuse to catch up without the kiddies, enjoy some yummy food, wine, adult conversation and share our recipes with one another! Each month the dinner is hosted by someone different and they select a theme! Back in April I hosted an 'Easter Tea Party' themed dinner at my place and along with my trademark cupcakes (also pictured below) I made these delicious caramelised onion, bacon and goats cheese tarts! I posted a photo on my Instagram feed at the time and set taste buds  into a spin so I thought it about time I shared this super easy and super tasty recipe!
Before...
My 'Easter Tea Party' table setting.
My carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and super cute marshmallow toppers!
Bargain roses from IGA!

Caramalised Onion, Bacon and Goats Cheese Tarts

Ingredients
500 grams ready prepared puff pasty (I use the prepared sheets so no rolling needed)
150grams goats cheese, crumbled
2 Tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
3 Rashers of bacon, chopped
Sea salt and black cracked pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
Extra Virgin olive oil

Caramalised Onions
1 Tablespoon olive oil, extra
1 onion
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Sea salt and cracked black pepper

Method

~ Preheat oven to 200°C

~ To make caramalised onions, place the extra oil, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper in a frying pan over medium to high heat. Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until soft and caramalised. Set aside.

~ Fry chopped bacon until slightly crisp. Set aside.

~ Separate the prepared sheets or puff pastry and place on the bench (I leave them sitting on the plastic sheets so that they don’t stick to the bench).

~ Cut into 8cm x 10cm circles (you could do squares if desired).

~ Place two pastry circles on top of each other and place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper.

~ Spread with caramalised onions leaving a 1cm border (I press the onions down slightly otherwise they may spill off as the party puffs in the oven).

~ Top with bacon, goats cheese, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil (I also drizzle with the left over reduction from the onions) and cook for 15-20 mins or until puffed and golden.

~ These can be made in advance and then just warmed in the oven before serving. I usually find the flavours are nicer once they’ve been sitting for a while!

After! 

The great thing about this recipe is that you can change it up a little for vegetarians and exchange the bacon for something else such as roasted pumpkin or even mushrooms! Yum, yum and yum!!!

Oh, and thank-you to those of you who left sweet messages, emails and comments on Instagram on my return to blogging... your encouragement and continued support means a lot! x

Happy cooking my friends! :)


2 comments:

  1. Love the new look and love that you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, as a loyal reader who stops by weekly to see if you're back I'm really excited that you are! Can't wait to hear about bubs no.2!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails