Baking with Mrs Bouw: Coconut-poached chicken and mango salad!

Friday, September 13, 2013


Last week my Mummy friends and I had our monthly cooking club/ladies dinner. Each month there is a different host and they select a theme to give us all a little guidance and given that spring has well and truly sprung in Sydney, this months host selected a 'fresh' theme! I just adore salads (I could seriously eat salad every day of the week) and in spring and summer I love incorporating fruit into my salad, so with mangos now back in season (whooo) I jumped at the chance to have them feature in my dish! This salad is SO delicious AND super easy with the best part being that most of the steps can be prepared in advanced! It is a winner of a dish indeed so please do yourself a favour and give it a go as the weather warms up. It really is the perfect spring/summer salad :)

Ingredients

500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
4cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
6 coriander stems
310ml (1¼ cups) coconut milk
4 chicken breast fillets or tenderloins (about 800grams)
2 tbs lime juice
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs finely grated palm sugar
2 fresh mangoes, peeled, thinly sliced or cubed
2 small avocados, peeled, thinly sliced
1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
4 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
1 long fresh red chilli, sliced diagonally
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
3/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
1/2 Roasted cashews, chopped, to serve

Method

* Bring 250ml (1 cup) coconut milk , stock, ginger and coriander stems to a simmer in a deep frying pan/pot on low heat. * Add chicken. Cook for 20 minutes or until just cooked. Remove and set aside to cool. This allows the flavours to really infuse. Shred chicken when cooled, drizzle with a few teaspoons of the coconut stock mixture and place in a airtight container until you are ready to construct the salad. 

* Meanwhile, combine lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar and remaining coconut milk in a bowl. Stir to combine. I like to transfer my dressing to a little jar/bottle (with a lid) and place in the fridge until I need it. This makes it easy to give it a good shake just before dressing your salad.

* Combine chicken, dressing, mango, avocado, capsicum, spring onion, chilli, half the mint and coriander leaves in a bowl. Transfer to a platter.

* Sprinkle cashews and remaining mint and coriander over the top.

* Enjoy :)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mama .... I am going to make this without the chicken (I'm vegetarian) but going to try adding tofu! . . . ummm love the salad servers too! Pop on over to my blog today, I think you will be able to relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks wonderful.

    Have added you to my blog roll x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails