Baking with Mrs Bouw: Banoffee Pie!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013



Last night I hosted my second 'Cooking Club' dinner for the year. Being the host you get the choose the theme so this month I decided on 'Restaurant Favourites' so basically the idea was to cook something you enjoy ordering when you eat out. I'm a sucker for yummy sides so cooked several side dishes including Neil Perry's famous 'Mac & Cheese' (OMG.. yum!!!) which I'll save for another post and for dessert I made my first attempt at Banoffee Pie! I was surprised at how easy it was to make and loved the fact that I could make 3/4 of it the day before and only had to top with bananas and cream right before serving. I was a little rushed doing the last step (hence the dodgy cream job haha) and didn't have much opportunity to take any good quality pics (hey, I had eight women eyeing off my pie like nothing else) but hopefully you get the idea. Oh and I had better mention that it was soooo delicious!!!

Banoffee Pie

Ingredients
1 x 250g pkt granita biscuits (Arnott's brand)
125g butter, melted
2 bananas
1 x 300ml double cream

Caramel filling
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
50g butter

Method

- Line the bottom of a 23cm springform pan/fluted tart tin (with removable base) with baking paper.

- Place the biscuits in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely crushed. Add the butter and process until well combined. Using the back of a metal spoon, firmly press the biscuit mixture over the base and 3/4 way up the side of the tin. Place in the fridge until required.

- To make caramel filling, place condensed milk, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 10-12 minutes or until caramel thickens (do not boil).

- Pour the hot caramel onto of the set biscuit base. Cover and place in the fridge for one hour to chill.

- Peel and thinly slice bananas, and arrange over the caramel filling. Top pie with cream, this can be done by either smoothing it over with a spatula or using a piping bag.

- Enjoy!
 

3 comments:

  1. My nephews made this for me once. So yummy! P.S.- I have locked in Mr Busy for my son's 2nd birthday in a couple of weeks (inspired by Miss Alegra's party). I've cleared all the local bookstores of their copies of Mr Busy, Miss Busy, Mr Birthday and Mrs Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephews made this for me once- so yummy! P.S.- have locked in the Mr Busy theme for my son's 2nd birthday - inspired by Miss Alegra's 2nd birthday. I kept asking him which theme he wanted, to which he would reply 'cake', before busily occupying himself. Have been clearing all local bookstores of their copies of Mr Busy, Miss Busy, Mr Birthday, and Mrs Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay, you decided to do it! And LOL re: clearing the bookstores! I'm sure it will all be amazing :) xxx

      Delete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails