Baking with Mrs Bouw: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting!

Sunday, October 27, 2013




We had a Halloween picnic to attend this afternoon so I thought what better treat to take along than my Pumpkin Cupcakes with cream cheese frosting! It had been over two years since I had made them (where I shared the recipe here on my blog) so I thought I'd repost the recipe with updated photos of the Halloween inspired batch I made this time round! Honestly, I had forgotten how delicious they are. Yum, yum and YUM!!!


Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose plain flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
Pinch of salt
50 grams butter at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup full cream milk
2 eggs
200 grams canned pumpkin puree (not all shops stock this so it can be a little difficult to track down)

Cream cheese frosting
2 1/3 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
50 grams butter at room temperature
125 grams cream cheese

Method

- Preheat oven to 170° C

- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice, salt and butter in an electric mixer and beat on a slow speed until combined and of a sandy consistency.

- Add the milk, eggs and vanilla essence and beat well ensuring you scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl.

- Stir in the pumpkin puree by hand until evenly dispersed.

- Spoon the mixture into paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden and cooked when tested with a skewer.

- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack and covering with a clean tea towel to cool completely.

Cream cheese frosting 

- Beat the icing sugar and butter in an electric mixer on medium-slow speed until mixture comes together.

- Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely combined.

- Turn the mixer up to a medium-high speed and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. - Be careful not to overbeat.

- Spread or pipe icing onto cooled cupcakes.

- Enjoy! :)

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Have you tried the recipe with fresh pumpkin? Any recipe modifications needed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly! No I haven't but I can't see why you couldn't use fresh pumpkin as long as you puree it down before adding :) x

      Delete
  2. Hi Mrs Bouw!
    I'm making them this afternoon (can't wait!) and I'm wondering what you use, or how high you fill the cupcake cases so that they are all the same size?
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! Oh yay, they are seriously delicious and taste even better the next day! I just spoon my mixture in under around 2/3 full. Most of my recipes I fill until around 2/3 or 3/4 full except for my chocolate mud cupcakes.. I only fill those until they are 1/2 full otherwise they spill over! A little tip for you... remember when making cupcakes there is a very fine one between being undercooked, perfect or overcooked! If they are close to cooking time and you test them with a skewer and the centre is still soft... be sure to check back in a minutes time as they cook faster than you think! Happy baking :) xxx

      Delete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails