Baking with Mrs Bouw: Chicken San Choy Bow!

Friday, February 14, 2014


Earlier in the week it was that time of the month again... yes, that's right, time for my monthly ladies Cooking Club! For those who haven't seen my previous post about this, basically, our Cooking Club consists of a groups of us Mumma friends who get together on a monthly basis (we lock in the second Tuesday night of every month) to enjoy good (homemade!) food, good wine and great company (and with the extra luxury of it being kiddie free)! The dinner is hosted by someone else each month and they set the theme! This months theme was 'Finger food' so I chose to make a crowd pleaser and something that was also easy to whip up after I had done my girl's dinner, bath and bedtime ritual also allowing me time to slip out of by bummy Mummy clothes and pop on some lippy! Who doesn't like a crispy cup of lettuce filled with delicious asian flavours?! Happy Cooking my friends :) x


Chicken San Choy Bow

Ingredients

10 iceberg lettuce leaves (I always like to buy two heads of lettuce just to be on the safe side as it's not guaranteed that all leaves inside will be in tact)
2 tsp vegetable oil
4 green onions (shallots), finely sliced
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 gloves garlic
500g chicken mince
3 tbs hoisin sauce
3 tbs kecap manis
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
230g can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 packet Changs Original Fried Noodles

Method

- Carefully remove lettuce leaves so that they remain in tact. Using scissors, cut them into a round dish-like shape. Place in the fridge, covered, until required.

- Heat vegetable oil in a pan/wok on high. Stir-fry green onion, garlic and ginger for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken mince and cook for about 5 minutes, until colour changes.

- Add hoisin, soy sauce, keycap manis, sesame oil and water chestnuts and continue to stir-fry for another 3-4 minutes. Stir until sauce is completely combined with chicken mixture and then transfers immediately to a serving bowl.

- Arrange lettuce cups on a platter. Spoon a little chicken mixture into each leaf, drizzle a little extra keycap manis and top with a sprinkle of fried noodles to serve.

- Enjoy! :)
 

2 comments:

  1. Am going to make this one for my boys- try and sneak some lettuce into them! Love the idea of a cooking club. We used to have a weekly Wednesday catch up with my friends- it's easy when the dates automatically known and everyone can plan in advance. Although my children will need to come to any cooking club I join now as my au pair has finished her 6 months with us and is off to explore Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum these look like little parcels of deliciousness! I have made these at home a few times but I never seem to get a lettuce that allows me to do perfect little cups. The lettuce ends up torn and thin strips that dont hold much filling ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails