Get the look: The top knot!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014


Just over a year ago I had a disgusting experience at a local salon (I'll spare you the long and traumatic story!) which in return saw me master the 'top knot'. I've had several requests over the months to do a 'how to' post on how to achieve the perfect top knot, however, I was a little hesitant as I wasn't sure how many people would be interested or able to follow my tutorial as I appreciate not everyone has hair long enough to achieve this without using a hair donut. But, with a few more request from lovely Instafriends in recent weeks, I thought I'd share my super easy (and super quick) way of achieving this go-to 'do' for every occasion! P.S excuse the dodgy bathroom selfies... Allegra hasn't quite mastered photography :)
Get the look:

1: Start by brushing your hair, then tie it up into a high ponytail. I have quite a lot of hair so to ensure it is super secure I like to use x2 thick hair ties.

2: You can choose to skip step 2, however, I prefer a bit of height so using a tail comb I gently lift the front section of my hair bit by bit until it is even and at a desired height.

3: Can you see the difference between image 1 & 3?! Being a busy and active Mum (especially in the humid weather) this high pony tail is my hairstyle of choice during the week.

4. Pulling your pony tail over one shoulder (I always pull over my right) tease the middle and inner section only, leaving the outer, top of your pony tail and ends neat and smooth. Tease until it's got some good volume and feels like it won't just fall out as soon as you move your hair.

5. Once you've finished teasing, lift up your pony tail towards the front of your head (the teased part of your hear should be on the inside) and twist into a donut-like shape smoothing any uneven hairs as you go. Slip in a few pins as soon as you have your desired shape to hold it before moving to step 6.

6. With the remainder of your hair (which should be your smooth ends only) twist and wrap around at the base of your top know and pin once the last of your pony tail is concealed.

7. Give you hair a decent spray of hairspray and tidy up any messy bits. You may decide to slip in a few extra bobby pins for extra security if you feel like it's not secure enough (I usually achieve this look with as little as 2-3 bobby pins). Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. I'm so going to test this one out! Love it xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails