Baking with Mrs Bouw: Homemade Chicken 'Bouw' Soup!

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

With the sudden onset of the much cooler weather here in Chicago (seriously, it was 30 degrees one day and an icy 13 degrees the next... um, hello Melbourne! hee hee), I was craving some good old homemade chicken noodle soup! Growing up, my Mum would make variations of this soup including one recipe where she would make her own egg noodles and another recipe where she would replace the noodles with home made semolina dumplings... yum! As a child, I particularly loved the dumplings and they were always the first thing I would ask for if I was feeling a little under the weather. It's also one dish that makes me feel a little closer if I am missing home :) I decided to replace to traditional noodles with mini farfalle because they are simply just easier for the girls to spoon out themselves (and because us 'Bouws' love our bows) ;) Keeping in mind that I had the girls to consider, I kept this recipe pretty simple but you can add other veggies if you please (i.e. parsnip or onions etc.) along with any other herbs and spices that take your fancy! Oh and I also cheated today and bought a roasted chook from Wholefoods instead of cooking my own (I usually use around three chicken marylands). I just love having a big pot of soup in the fridge as it means I usually get a couple of dinners out of eat (or maybe a lunch or two) and don't have the stress of cooking and cleaning up at the end of a busy day! Plus, homemade soup really is food for the soul isn't it :)
    

Home Made Chicken 'Bouw' Soup

Ingredients

1 tbs olive oil
1 litre of chicken stock
3 cubes of chicken bouillon (stock cubes) I always throw in a couple of these because they add a little more depth to the stock
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped (I added a few carrot hearts just for the girls)
1 small bunch of celery (roughly six long pieces), washed and chopped
1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
6 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of mini farfalle or pasta of your choice
1 store bought rotisserie chicken
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

- Place olive oil and a splash of chicken stock in a large pot on low heat.

- Add the carrot and celery and sautee for roughly one minute.

- Add the remaining stock, bouillon cubes, parsley and water and simmer on low heat for 30-40 mins.

Note: this soup can be whipped up in no time but if you want that authentic homemade taste, the longer you simmer, the better. I usually make mine during the day and by dinner time the flavours are amazing.

- Once the vegetables have softened and have been simmering for a generous amount of time, turn up the heat a little and add you pasta.

- Remove skin from your chicken and then using your hands pull off all the meat you would like to add. I used the breast and thigh meat and left the wings and drumsticks for Mr B to gnaw on when he gets home ;)

- Again, for a more authentic feel, instead of using a knife I use my hands to break the chicken up in small bite sized/shred like pieces.

- Throw the chicken into the pot and reduce heat back down to a simmer and add salt and pepper to taste. I'm not usually a big fan of black pepper but I think it is a must in this recipe.

- Once the pasta has cooked through I like to turn it off and let it sit in the pot for a while and then slightly reheat again before serving. The true flavours will well and truly be there by this point.

- Serve with a piece of fresh bread and butter.

- Enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails