Baking with Mrs Bouw: Mrs Bouw's Chicken Laksa!

Thursday, October 30, 2014

After posting the odd photo of this dish on Instagram over the months, I have received several requests to share the recipe so here it is... finally! This recipe is one of my own that just kind of 'happened' one night when I wasn't really sure if I was making a curry or a broth... and boy am I glad it did because it is SO delicious! It's also a dish that you can tailor to your liking and it's relatively easy to substitute ingredients if you are missing a few. So don't panic if you don't have Kecap manis in your pantry because I guarantee it will still be super tasty! AND my biggest tip when making this recipe is to make slightly ahead of time as it only tastes better the longer the ingredients have time to fuse. I like to have my greens prepared in the fridge so that when it come to serving time all I have to do is prep the noodles (which takes all of a few minutes) ladle the broth over the top and then garnish with the greens. Too easy and beyond tasty! So go on, get your laksa on! :)
 

Mrs Bouw's Chicken Laksa

Ingredients

250g Rice Vermicelli noodles
250g Chicken fillets finely diced (breast or thigh depending on your personal preference)
2tbs coconut oil
2 tbs red curry paste
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp paprika
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
2 tbs kecap manis
2 tbs peanut butter
1 400ml tin coconut milk
A handful of snow peas, washed and finely sliced
A few lengths of spring onion, washed and chopped into rounds (I use both the green and white of the onion)
Fresh coriander, washed and removed from the stems

* Please note: how much of the 'greens' you use to garnish is often a personal preference and if there are other vegetables and herbs you prefer you can alway substitute for the ones you are not a fan of. For example, many people are not fond of coriander so this can always be subtitled for something else such as bean sprouts. You can also substitute the chicken for seafood if you wish.

Method

- Heat the coconut oil in a medium to large pot/saucepan, add the red curry paste a stir for a minute or so until fragrant.

- Add your chicken and then cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until chicken is sealed but not browned.

- Throw in your tumeric and paprika and stir continuously for no longer than 30 seconds (you don't want the paprika to burn as it will give your laksa a bitter taste).

- Add the stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, kecap manis and peanut butter and stir until well combined.

- Lastly, add in the coconut milk, again, giving it a good stir and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

- Reduce heat to your absolute lowest setting and cook for at least another 30-40 minutes (the longer the better).

-After the 40 minutes I like to turn the heat off completely, place a lid on the pot and just let it sit for a while as it give the flavours more of a chance to come together. And it is even better the next day!

- Just before you a ready to serve, place your vermicelli noodles in a large bowl and cover completely with boiling water.

- Loosen them a little with a fork and then let the noodles sit for 5 or so minutes. Drain once soft.

- Place noodles in bowl, using a ladle cover the noodles with your laksa and then top with coriander, snow peas and spring onion.

- Enjoy! :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh Son you have no idea how much this makes me happy! I have an allergy to prawns/shrimps and soooo many Laksa recipes require a shrimp based paste or flavour, and it's in all the 'Laksa' bases in the supermarkets. So I usually put it in the 'too hard' basket and never make it. But wahlah....you've done it! CAN'T WAIT to try this baby out!
    Thank you
    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Claire, that in return makes me so happy! There is nothing worse than when there are dishes that make your mouth water but for whatever reason you can't eat them! I think you should be safe with the red curry paste but double check the labels just in case and be sure to let me know when you make it! Big kisses xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe Mrs Bouw. I made it a few weeks ago & it turned out perfectly. So much flavour for such an easy dish. The left overs the next day were quite divine too! Thanks again for sharing :)! Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lovely Emma! Thanks so much for your feedback... I'm so pleased you enjoyed it! It is also one of my absolute faves and taste just as good (sometimes even better) the next day :) All of my recipes are tried and true (and easy!) and I never post anything that I don't believe is delicious! xxx

      Delete

Hi there :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment... I always love hearing from you!

Son xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails