Baking with Mrs Bouw: Easy Peasy Fritters!
Monday, February 23, 2015
Gotta love a four ingredient recipe! Last week I whipped up these pea and corn fritters and they were a hit with three out of four in our household. Allegra on the other hand asked if I could never make them again (haha!) but don't let that stop you from believing that there are many kiddies that would love these... you could even make them slightly smaller into bite sized fritters! They are so simple and tasty (even more so if you prepare them ahead, let them sit for a little bit and then reheat) and a great little snack to have in the fridge. I had them for lunch two days in a row with a yummy side salad and if you're feeling naughty you can also serve with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yoghurt for a healthier option.
Easy Peasy Fritters
Ingredients (makes 15)
3 cups of frozen peas and corn
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the peas and corn in a saucepan of boiling water until tender. Refresh under cool water and drain well.
- Using a potato masher, crush until they are mashed but still coarse (a few while pieces of corn give the fritters a nice texture).
- Using a whisk, beat the eggs in a bowl and gradually add the flour and milk, stirring until all combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the peas and corn, stirring to combine.
- Season to taste.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large, non-stick frypan over medium heat.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop, pour batter into frypan (I cooked 4-5 at a time).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden underneath, flip and then cook for a further two minutes.
- Cover to keep warm and then repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with a mixed salad.